Monday, September 20, 2010

Adendum...

Jambo called last night, and thought I should clarify a point I made, so here it is.

When Ryan reads my response, he'll undoubtedly get bent. I repeatedly said "we" when referring to the "Allies" at Nuremberg, not because I think the US had a predominant role, but because we were partners in the effort since the Tehran Conference in '45.

One thing that still bothers me about Nuremberg is that we sat, side-by-side, with judges from the USSR (all Red Army generals or marshalls) who were probably just as guilty of crimes against humanity as any Nazi, and at least one French alternate judge who was a Vichy-appointee and was still allowed to sit on the bench. We should never have agreed to partner with the Soviets (at all) and we should have fought the choice for the French judge.

So, when I say "we" I say it because the US remained involved in Nuremberg in spite of the problematic nature of our less-than-likely partners, France and the USSR.

No comments: