Saturday, September 11, 2010

I have something to say...

America has not known many tragedies like 9/11. I'm sorry for using the word after Ryan said it wasn't appropriate (although I agree with his sentiments about the President's comments), but 9/11 was, very possibly, the pivotal tragic event in the last 30 years of American history. What percentage of America (and the entire world) watched as those 102 minutes ticked by between the first impact and the North Tower's collapse? When was the last time ANY tragedy, attack, or incident had the personal, individual impact that THIS attack had, anywhere in the world? I can't think of a single example.

Many have compared it to the Kennedy assassination, since that was the first time America watched "live" as something of such national importance unfolded, and eventually ended with the murder of the only suspect on live TV... but the comparison is weak, at best.

Tonight, while playing the absolutely heartbreaking phone calls to loved ones from those trapped in the Towers or on Flight 93 before it crashed, a speech was played that was given by Reagan on Oct 25, 1983, after the Beirut Barracks bombing that took the lives of 241 Marines, in which he clearly and plainly laid out the "plan" that America was going to face these murderers and cowards with conviction and determination, and that no amount of effort would be spared in bringing those responsible to justice.

Truly touching, and Reagan's words seemed far more applicable today than they did in 1983... in fact, that is the point of my post.

To juxtapose the speech I was referring to with the heart-rending calls made on the morning 9 years ago seemed to say that Reagan was the example we need to follow in dealing with terror and terrorism today.

Is this fair?

We've had Presidents that have handled terrorism badly (Carter is a good example, I think... followed by Obama)... and we've had Presidents that have handled terrorism better. Who would we place at the TOP of that list?

I'd argue for Bush Jr, myself... his response was calm, firm and never wavered for even a second. His father was tough, too... but I'm not sure Reagan was the best choice.

Yes, Reagan put the fear of God (or Allah) into the heart of one Muammar al-Gaddafi when he ordered the air strikes against Tripoli. He also reversed his promised response to the Beirut bombing and had every Marine in Lebanon back in the States less than five months after 241 Marines died fighting there.

Is this the example that conservatives (since I plainly can't be considered one of them) want to use as how best to deal with terrorist attacks against US interests, at home or abroad? I'm not condemning Reagan's terms as President, but I am questioning the withdrawal of these troops before their goals were met (or their attackers brought to justice) and its impact on future attacks against America... and I am questioning why Reagan is the model for conservative response to terror.

I don't want to detract from Ryan's point that 9/11 is a day to remember that the deaths of those 2700 people were needless, and (more importantly) that they were caused by proponents of a faith that our current administration seems to want to coddle and appease. If my comments are inappropriate, then I apologize and retract them now... but I'd like my question considered at a future date, please.

No comments: