Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pillars of the Earth...

Just finished the show (late, I know), and wanted to share my thoughts...

A great series, no question. Really gave the feeling that you were walking the streets and lanes of 12th Century England... but as with any movie, it missed many marks that it could have tried for.

I was a bit disappointed at the end episode, too. It's been a while since I read Follet's book, but I don't recall Henry being the one that killed Eustace of Bolougne. History does not even put Henry anywhere near Eustace (geographically speaking) in 1153, the year he is recorded as dying "by the hand of God" for pillaging Church lands. I'm also a bit disappointed that they threw out the story (historically accurate story, too) of Stephen capturing Henry as a child, and rather than having the rival for the throne killed (as was his plan), he began to play with the child and grew so fond of him that he let the boy go back to his mother, the Empress Maud.

Still, Waleran Bigod's death was sufficiently gory to satisfy my needs... and a happy ending is kind of nice nowadays.

Not as good as either Spartacus or Band of Brothers... but good, none the less, and one I'll want for my collection later on.

No comments: