Thursday, September 23, 2010

How do you define "Classic"?

The term has many definitions, its true... but the one I'm talking about is:

clas-sic: (adj) of enduring interest, quality or style; of literary or historic renown; definitive in nature and intent

I'm re-reading one of the "classics" from the Cold War era... right out of the Reagan 80s, in fact: Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

I have, literally, read this work dozens of times, cover to cover. Its characters are as familiar to me as old friends, and reading it again is an easy way to relieve some serious stress in my life right now. I can read this book, allow myself to fall into its story, close my eyes, and I can see myself back in my youth, in my old bedroom at my folk's house, or in my first apartment; I can recall talking to old friends about the scenarios detailed in the book, and how they would or would not play out in real life... it really does transport me back to my youth.

Add to that the simple and undeniable fact that this book is every bit as good as any of the best "classic" adventure stories you are likely to read... and I mean that sincerely. I rank it right up there with Starship Troopers, The Three Musketeers, Kidnapped, Battlefield Earth, and yes, dare I say it?... The Lord of the Rings.

If you haven't read it yet... go do it. Soon.

No comments: