Friday, March 11, 2011

God help them, please...

Anyone that questions my belief in God simply doesn't understand how regularly He makes His presense known in my life.

For the last two days, NEPA has had rain... in excess of 4 inches of rain when most of the region is still looking at a foot of snow on the ground and frozen soil below it. Every river, creek and waterway in the region is overflowing, and I have had as much as four inches of water in my basement for more than 24 hours. We have a new sump pump that removes 3200 gallons an hour, but it is located in a 100-year old basement made of dry stone walls and a poorly laid concrete floor... so it is about as waterproof as a screen door.

Still, the pump kept up and the rain has now stopped. School is cancelled due to flooding, but both Liz and I will make it to work just fine, and the 16-year-old can watch the pump while he's home. It was a long night, though... I was continually checking the height of the water down there to make sure it didn't swamp the furnace (fuel oil) or effect other vital utilities (especially electrical stuff), and I didn't get much sleep.

Needless to say, I was a bit testy last night. I don't feel I have many hang-ups or triggers in my life... but I am not ashamed to say that rising water is definitely one of them. Walking down stairs to see that much water covering the floor, and seeing the odd bit of trash or old toys floating about is not something I find soothing or comforting.

Waking up to see that video of the tsunami running through those Japanese villages and towns showed me just how petty my concerns must be right now. Having seen (first hand) what a 20' wall of water can do to a community and what the aftermath of that devestation is like... I can only say that I will pray for those people with all my heart, and I won't worry another minute about the puddles in my dirty, dark old basement.

No comments: