Monday, March 21, 2011

I thought I was pretty clear

But just in case...

My beef wasn't with the strategy. Doolittle had to get the fighters off the ground to kill them. My beef was the fact that 70 years go by and the common line of thinking was not the attrition strategy but the desire to continue precision daylight bombing. My neighbor growing up, Neil Walworth... He flew a B-24, was shot down in 1945 and finished the war as a POW. Does it matter that from January 1944 till after D-Day the primary focus of the 8th was aiming the bomber groups at targets the German fighters HAD to defend? Does that make Neil's sacrifice any less? Because Doolittle needed the fighters dead more than the targets bombed?

Why is this strategy just seeing the light of day now?

I'm not mad at Doolittle. I'm not mad at Eisenhower. I'm not mad at Marshall, Churchill or FDR. I'm mad that a MAJOR facet of Allied strategy has continued to be glossed over historically. If I've come across any other way I am sorry.

No comments: