Thursday, March 17, 2011

Remakes...

I'm torn... some work, and some simply don't.

Red Dawn was damn near iconic when I was growing up, especially in my group of friends. I'm no fan of changing what obviously worked... and so few have been worth seeing as remakes at all. Twelve Angry Men is one of the very few that worked, I think.

I've no real interest in seeing Red Dawn remade, but I'm curious about True Grit. Other westerns have been worth watching as remakes: 3:10 to Yuma is a good example. Most of the rest seem to be scifi or horror genres... Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Day of the Dead, Outland, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Crazies, Godzilla, The Day the Earth Stood Still... the list is staggering in length.

Others? The Longest Yard, The Miracle on Ice (Miracle), The Bad News Bears, Angels in the Outfield, Brian's Song... and all of these are sports movies. Only Miracle was better than the original (and I think one of the best sports films made... EVER).

I'm still hoping for a few remakes that I think could be even better than the originals... The Poseidon Adventure failed, but it could work, and so could movies like Jaws, The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon a Time in the West, All the President's Men, Toy Soldiers (quite topical in today's environment)... all good candidates for "classic" remake success.

No comments: