Friday, January 4, 2008

Here's a question...

Name the last non-Israeli Middle East leader the United States has backed that's a winner.

Musharraf (I know I butchered it. Too tired to look it up.) is not a winner. I'm not debating whether or not he was behind Bhutto's assassination, but I seriously question the dedication of a leader who HAS THE FREAKING ARMY IN HIS POCKET, and can't root Osama out of the mountains, and prevents us from doing it. Afraid of a "popular uprising?" Why? He's got the army. It's not like we've done anything but slap his hand for his past humanitarian deficiencies. If the guy was giving us something, like Osama or Al-Quida prosecution success stories, that would be something.

My last one was Anwar Sadat. And look how he ended up. BadBoy said the Shaw. I said he wasn't a winner. BadBoy agreed.

Comments?

1 comment:

Titus said...

I'll do you one better...

Name a single Arab leader that was a WINNER, US-backed or not!

King Hussein of Jordan is the ONLY name I can come up with. Fahd of Iraq misses the mark for the same reasons the Shah does, and I guess that means Sadat is out too.

Both Hussein's son (the current king of Jordan) and Morocco's current king (ruling since '99) are promising prospects for moderate constitutional monarchs in the region... but neither have ruled for even a decade. We'll have to wait and see.

So, does anyone have a name other than Hussein of Jordan?