Saturday, January 12, 2008

How about a BIG Bund welcome!

Here's a surprise for both Jambo and Ryan...

Today, this blog can expect a visit from CW3 "Rick", USASOC... fellow Wisconsin refugee, boyhood friend of the Brothers Foster, and a damn fine American all around. I'll leave his name at simply "Rick" for now, as I don't want the man kicking my ass for associating his name with our decidedly NOT PC rantings.

I fell out of touch with Rick after the Storm, and hadn't actually heard from him (in person or email) since I moved to NEPA. This is a friendship of some duration, I can tell you! Jambo and Rick actually attended PROM together! Well, not together, or course... more like they attended the same dance, with different dates... you get what I mean. ANYWAY, that must have been, what? 20 years ago for you two? 1988? And in the intervening years, Rick has served the nation in many capacities in the US Army. I do not hesitate to tell you that he is, without question, a true American hero in every sense of the word. AND he's a fantastic father. AND he's a dedicated husband. AND he's a heart-felt and passionate Christian. AND he is one of the very few people I will associate with that can manage to roll a sock so tight as to be able to THROW it through a plate glass hotel window while mind-numbingly drunk. AND he didn't turn me in for flat-out stealing an American flag from in front of a popular off-base sports bar near Fort Rucker, AL, in a fit of VERY misplaced patriotic fervor.

LOL... man, it seems that every time Rick and I have seen each other in person over the last 20 years, whether it was at the "Ponderosa" back in Bayfield County, WI (Rick's birthday) or his graduation from Warrant Officer Candidate School (the "flag" incident... hehe) and all the times in between, we have managed to tie on some of the most spectacular drunks of my life! No one ever gets "hurt" of course (hang-overs not withstanding), but just the graduation celebration cost a bar a flag, the hotel a dresser and a window, our little group of friends about a pounds-worth of brain cells, and to my knowledge NO ONE has seen Chuck since that day! He just got in his car and drove off into oblivion! HAHAHA! THAT'S funny, right there!

So, I hope Rick sees this and has a laugh or two. Chime in anywhere, friend! We'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Jambo said...

RICK! i still have that snapshot of the prom... Just to prove I knew you when you were a skinny little forensics kid. State Speech rocks!

My personal favorite Rick story still has to be the vodka and the diving mask... That'll clear the sinuses!

Welcome! Drop a line, send an e-mail, great to know you're ok.

Anonymous said...

Guys,
Great to hear from you all! Of course I am still alive, just been invisible for the most part for the past few years, you guys know the deal.... Business is good right now so that means I stay gone. I will defininetly be weighing in on your blogs. No problem using full names normally but since we have already said who I work for we will just stay with Rick. I am looking forward to many Irish reunions i.e. great drunks with you boys. We will have to schedule a get together in the next couple of years. I am going to Italy on business in the begining of Feb and I am bringing Lisa with me for a week and I have a lay over in New York for 8 hours if any one is going to be up that way let me know. Take care everyone and God bless you and your families
Rick