Wednesday, January 9, 2008

On being "pink"...

THAT was the most honest defense of your determination to support the organization of front-line Table Games associates at Caesar's Palace to date, and it is one I can live with.

I will no longer question your actions or thought processes, now that you have admitted to following your passion for "pissing off" the management that anyone that has worked with you in the past KNOWS is your primary mode of entertainment while at work.

Having seen first hand the lengths you will go to just to make sure people like Carpenter and "Frau Judy" suffered the most difficult shift possible whenever it suited you, I can very easily understand your inclination to take the "proletariat" path of organized resistance.

My only other point is that concerning the functioning, practical relationship between a dealer and the pencil/pit boss. I understand that times have changed and it is no longer as easy to abuse the system as it might once have been... but to suggest it has been eliminated from the work place is inaccurate... even incorrect.

Having moved from the ultra-mega-giant corporation world of Caesar's/Harrah's/Bally's and back into an enviroment where the "share-holders" constitute a body of people that wouldn't fill a city bus, I can say first-hand that this is not the case. While Mohegan Sun (Uncasville or Wilkes-Barre) still fights favoritism and preferential treatment like any other big business, they employ a very "old school" system of merit-reward that allows managers to give the best assignments to those team members (we don't use the Harrah's term of "associates" here) that "merit" them, as long as the manager can justify the assignment with rational and measurable performance evaluation.

In short, I can give the best jobs to those that do the best work... and I can't tell you how much easier that makes the job when I think back to how we USED to do it at Harrah's. The ones that consistantly fail to perform either quit or get fired when they do not improve their performance, while the ones that perform do the job with damn near enthusiasm to stay on top of the job ladder.

The corprotate PC world is alive and very real, I admit, but it isn't the only world available to companies and corporations. Anyone that worked for the Grand when Lyle Berman was in charge will know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

Frau-Judy ... now that was funny. So, we have this settled then - my penchant for pissing off my bosses overtook any traditional ideological philosophy I have. By the way, it's not that I dislike any "boss." It's those whom demand conformity with a write up to your head, and those who take the "rules" so serious so as to abandon common sense and common decency. And waht REALLY pissed me off were those who think that because they out-rank me in the industry that this must mean they're smarter then me - HA! That's a joke. My least favorite was that moronic prick on grave at the Grand, the pit boss "Tom" whatever his last name was, whom was a bad imitation of Magnum PI. Son of a, did I dislike that s.o.b. I fought that firing via that associate "court" mainly because he was a cosignature to the write up that got me fired. At any rate, if that passioniate disdain for those like him caused me to temporarily abandon my "conservatism", so be it ... glad you can live with it. he, he.
FR