Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I can't get a feel ...

... for what my gut says on this. Certainly the turn out is going to be monstrously larger then in the 2004 presidential election. That historically favors the challenging Party, not the incumbent. And certainly in the House & Senate that will be true. However, I think there has got to be increased numbers of traditional (dare I say conservative) voters that make a showing in larger numbers in order to prevent the most radically left candidate in history from ascending to the most powerful position in the country (and the world for that matter).

And let me add this: I watched Obama vote with his young daughter by his side in Chicago's South Side today. And he looked almost teary eyed afterwards, describing it as "a very special experience." Now, as we are all fathers, we can imagine how swelling with pride he must have been to have his (she looks 11 or so) daughter peek into his voting screen and see her father's name there for President of the United States. Not to mention the historical racial aspects. My point is this - we (traditional Democrats and conservative Republicans) are going to need, in this hyper media-communication age, someone with this guy's amount of personal charisma (which he is dripping with) if we are to prosecute our message effectively to the American electorate. And that's NO MATTER who wins today. Reagan set the communication/likability standard for a generation and Obama has perhaps upped the ante.

This guy is like Darth Vader - all the Jedi skills in the galaxy, but has opted for a Sith-like ideology (& I avoided the obvious racial "dark/light" verbal overtones there, I might add). NOW - where is our Luke?

No comments: