Sunday, July 4, 2010

Speaking of good books...

So, one more yard-sale customer wanders through today, and asks if we have books for sale. I explain (as I have for two days now) that I have 700 books I am willing to sell, but I have brought them all onto the porch and she'll have to go there to browse.

So, of course, she's looking for murder-mysteries (a genre I'm not strong on, by the way) and I start handing down boxes that I think might offer her something. She spends the next 40 minutes going through damn near every box I have, and taking only 10 books with her.

I, however, find three boxes of books that have not been opened since I moved to NEPA... and did I find some gems!

John Powers' "Do black patent leather shoes really reflect up?"
The entire Heechee Series in paperback (classic sci-fi)
The Lion of Ireland
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Artifact (a really fantastic sci-fi book that Jambo turned me onto decades ago)
Gonji (the whole 6-book series)
Anno Dracula
Roma Eterna
Quo Vadis?
Around the World in 80 Days

And my all-time favorite classics of adventure fiction:

The Three Muskateers
Kidnapped
The Narnia Chronicles (in the original 1970 editions that Jambo remembers from our youth)

My summer reading list is now complete... move over, non-fiction!

No comments: