Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I am sincerly sorry for this, but...

I still don't get the latest Star Trek movie...

I watched again tonight with Nolan on Netflix, and it didn't seem any better now than when I first saw it.

Yes, casting was fantastic. Yes, the special effects were great. Yes, the humor was just right, without seeming campy or forced.

I can't put my finger on it, though... maybe its Spock making out with Uhuru, or the difference in the settings, or the "new fangled" ship... but something just isn't right. I honestly think that some of the older movies and STNG stuff is better... as bad as that sounds to say.

What I do see is that Jambo is right and the franchise is wide open to new features now. They have completely managed to remain in the "canon" of the orginal series, while opening up the entire thing to whatever comes to mind. With one small exception...

Notice how in the whole movie, they talked about Klingons, and shot at Klingons, and made reference to Klingons... but they never SHOWED a Klingon, did they? Will the Klingons look like they did in the original series (like pointy-eared Fu Manchus), or will they look like Lt. Warf from the STNG series? I know that somewhere in the canon is an explanation for the variation in appearence between the orginal and the STNG look... but I don't know what it is.

No comments: