Monday, October 11, 2010

More homework...

I have to hand it to him... the boy isn't bad. He has some real "Bund potential" I think...

He has opted to follow the time-honored and much travelled course of using his anger and frustration at his impending "grounding" as the means to find his inspiration. In short, his essay (so far) is laced with anger and resentment. He refers to an "A" in his opening statement as "someone else's opinion of my academic achievement"... and while I don't really appreciate the sarcasm from him at this specific time, I can understand it and am allowing him to follow that course.

What has really got me flustered right now, however, is his absolute chronic "writer's block". The boy simply BALKS at a blank page, and insists that he has no idea what to write. I'm at a loss here, because I can't ever recall being at that same place in my life... ever. If I don't have a valid or heart-felt opinion on a topic, I've always been able to fake it completely... but how does one pass that kind of ability or insight on to another?

How does one pass on the ability to "fluff" a one paragraph start into a two page essay, without doing the work for them?

Damn, this is harder than I ever imagined it would be...

If these kids actually shared my genes... this SO would not be a problem. Am I right?

1 comment:

El Casa Grande said...

Well, if he's learning to use that anger and channel in a positive manner, I think you have to let him go down that path.

The abilitiy to "fluff" (aka: bullshit) your way through something is an acquired ability and not one easily taught.

Take it from someone who once gave a book report on a book he made up while giving the speech, and got a B+ for the effort (primarily because Sal Pufall said she was impressed that I never once looked at my notes -- which didn't exist), you can either do it or you can't, but you have to figure out what you can get away with and it really can't be taught, only learned.