Saturday, May 15, 2010

Can I ask you guys something?

I hope you don't mind my steering into the personal for a moment ...

Years ago I confided in Jambo what was my "plan" (& perhaps Titus too, I don't remember). It was always to earn a PhD & whether it be in a university setting or think tank, pursue a local office as almost a hopeful side hobby, and see where it went. I wagered this presented no down side because win lose or draw the entire journey would be an enjoyable one. Well long story short, due to my tumultuous marriage (of which I accept any justly due blame) I never quite wrapped my arms around committing to that path, it never seemed the right "time", although I did manage to squeeze off 2 to 3 years of college credits at my various "attempts." Well, as of late I've realized that my life is now absent nearly any "drama", as the young people say. As corny as it sounds there is real peace in my home, just me and my sons. And whether it be Las Vegas, NV or Biloxi, MS I have at my disposal both a part time job to maintain my lifestyle of these last 12 years and access to a respectable university (UNLV & USM, Long beach satellite campus). And lets add to this that my job affords me, in either locale, 3 to 4 days off per week, depending on the season. Having pondered all of this lately my attitude towards such a pursuit has gone from "why not?" to a real sense of urgency (partly because I am on my last mental leg with our shared business, but mostly the "peace" factor I mentioned). The idea of actually looking forward to my days' work (which for people of our ilk would almost certainly have a "I can't believe I get paid for this" feeling) is something I've decided I am going to need in my life going forward.

So, were I to do this I have narrowed my academic pursuits down to two: US history with a minor in Western Civilization; and US Strategic Policy (which is basically a National Security degree under the International Relations department, rather then Poly-sci), with a minor in US history. I can't do political science anymore. I majored in that in those previous years and the idea of sifting through polling data and defining "compassionate conservatism" seems a bit remedial at this point.

At any rate, I was curious about something while thinking about all this. We all share the same intellectual interests within a very few degrees of separation. If you could employ a wand and Hogwarts spell, and have a degree (& a career in which you were immersed in its' focus), at this stage in your life, what would it be? You can pick 2, as I have, but you must reveal the order of preference. And to that end I will note that I am leaning towards Strategic Policy.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way advocating you do or not do anything along these lines, this isn't my point at all. I am just genuinely curious. I thought your answers could only benefit me, and may be a fun, even healthy exercise for you.

No comments: