Saturday, May 15, 2010

Since we're thinking outloud ...

... any thoughts or pertinent observations would be helpful.

I am a bit torn between a straight history line versus the National Security track. So since we are all basically aware of what a straight history course of study would entail (once the specific field of interest is decided), I would appreciate your taking a gander at the following two programs, which raised my eyebrow and interest: International Development Doctoral Program & War and Society Doctorate of History

Now don't get me wrong, I understand this will ultimately come down to my personal tastes and passions, and that only I can know. But as I said, I think any observations, pros and cons, etc from the Bund family can only help.

By the way, I used USM for the two links rather then UNLV. And there is no other reason for this then I have them saved in my favorites. UNLV undoubtedly has scores of similar programs, including a history doctorate in any number of specific areas. I will add though that while the war & society program is at the Hattiesburg campus (tough living on the Coast, but not impossible), the Long Beach satellite campus hosts the former of the two degree listed above; and a particular line in the introduction to the program's home page caught my eye, it's highlighted below.

Welcome
Prospective Student:

Welcome to the International Development Doctoral Program at Southern Miss. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Let me tell you a few things about our program that makes us unique and of which I am proud.

• We are the only International Development Doctoral Program in the country that has as its focus the executive student. We offer our program in a hybrid delivery allowing working professionals to keep their careers and earn a Ph.D. at the same time.

• We are not an online university. We are a brick and mortar university which is soon to celebrate its 100th anniversary which happens to offer this executive doctoral program that has an online component.

• In August 2009, the program turned ten (10) years old. In that time we have graduated 26 students and have over seventy (70) students in the program from all over the United States and abroad as well.

• We have five core faculty members representing the social science disciplines of Economics, Geography, Political Science, and International Studies. Beyond these five core faculty we have social science faculty across the university that participate in this unique program.


This certainly isn't a deal maker or breaker in my estimation, but it's useful information at the very least - especially when my career includes being a full time Dad.

Alright fellas, any thoughts would be appreciated. Having spent over a decade making a living at something that is less then personally fulfilling, I don't want to pour years of hard work into making the same mistake twice - so I do not take the choices within this potential endeavour lightly.

No comments: