Monday, December 6, 2010

"Contact left!"

"No shit!"

Jambo's right, that's probably the best line of the series, hehe.

Now this is interesting.

Titus wrote: " ... there are aspects of this series that I can say I question... not in accuracy or content, but in format and presentation."

Titus used almost the exact phraseology that I did when addressing my concerns to Jambo about the series via text, although it appears to apply to a different "beef", if you will. I'm itching to address my 3 tier "concern" with the series, but I refuse to skew Titus' viewing, as no one did this to Jambo nor I. Don't get worked up Jambo, I still liked the series, but these points must be addressed once Titus finishes, post Wednesday (I feel kinda bad, I hope rushing to finish doesn't impact your enjoyment, Titus - take your time man).

But I'll briefly address what's been broached thus far ...

"I will hold my final opinion to the end of the series ... I'd hate to think that the whole series is going to pass and leave "me" (the general audience) with the possible impression that the effects of combat stress on the individual Marine were as debilitating and lasting as this program has (so far) presented."

Were I making a WWII (or any war movie/series), perhaps the most difficult aspect would be how much to focus on the mentally debilitating effects of war. I suppose that using pure numbers of those diagnosed with PTSD would help. I did notice, as did Titus, the increased focus (as compared to our template, B.o.B) of this aspect of warfare within The Pacific. I can only assume that in their research Hanks & company discovered that due to the type of warfare waged in the Pacific that the occurrences of PTSD (during service & upon the return home) were more frequent then the European front (which makes total sense), and they wanted to demonstrate that. Did they focus too much? Perhaps (they're not done with that Titus, by the way). And I only say "perhaps" because for every second of reel time they spend addressing debilitation, it's just that much less time available to demonstrate in-action heorism, or what they "did", versus how they "felt", if that makes sense (not to discount how the boys felt, that's intricate and very worthy of exploration, we're talking "what is the right balance" in telling this story, and did this series properly strike it).

2 other points that don't jump the gun on where Titus is in the series -

Titus was spot on - this series did do an excellent job in portraying the enemy from a US Marine's perspective (I'd say "soldier", but Leckie would get pissed). The Japanese in this series are almost mythological in their existence - talked about, almost never seen, existing only behind the brush line, lurking within trees and jungle, attacking almost exclusively at night (initially anyway), only seeing their faces in short bursts of machine gun fire light. It was truly "alien", they might as well have been fighting Martians as far our boys were concerned. A much different scenario then say, Malarkey chatting with his in-state neighbor in the Wehrmacht, or the surrender scenes in "Points."

Secondly, my favorite storyline is Sledgehammer & Snafu, hands down.

No comments: