Thursday, December 9, 2010

Person of the Year...

Ryan sent me a text saying that Assange is in the running for Time's "Person of the Year". This isn't particularly surprising... but Ryan made a good point in the text.

As much as Assange has dominated the headlines this year, can he compare to Glenn Beck? Beck (it seems) is also in the running, and while I'm sure the "honor" of this is somewhat tempered by the disdain he holds for the title, one can't entirely argue that Beck has dominated the news by his efforts.

I have almost no desire whatsoever to see who wins, since I think the picking of the "Person" is almost completely arbitrary and inconsistent in its application... but if I had to pick, I'd give it to Beck over Assange. Not because I think Beck is "better" than Assange in his world views (although I do), but because I think that it is better to show the world what the "liberal" agenda is all about... and Assange does that without even trying, while Beck is working to effect change from within the society and its organs.

So, let the choices fall where they may... it really doesn't matter.

No comments: