Monday, December 6, 2010

The Pacific

This is not the first time I've seen the episodes, so I can discuss them at length. My criticism of "The Pacific" is limited to only this:

Wasted episodes.

B.O.B. from start to finish has zero wasted episodes. From Tacoa to the Eagle's Nest, every episode is pertinent, necessary and riveting.

Do we as viewers NEED to see Melbourne? No. Do we as viewers NEED to see the romantic aspects of Basilone's life? No. I understand why Iwo Jima is so limited in the telling: no spoilers here. But there are two entire episodes that are for the most part unnecessary. THAT is the fundamental difference between Pacific and B.O.B. and my issues with the series.

So does that make B.O.B. qualitatively better?

NO.

I still feel without question that B.O.B. AND the Pacific need to be viewed as one 20 episode series, and together mark the DEFINITIVE work on narrative true to life storytelling concerning WW2. Freaking awesome.

No comments: