Sunday, July 27, 2008

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was picking a fight not a debate and you went all mommy on me. It sounded like "Play nice boys and I'll go make you some lemonade"ish. If I wasn't typing on a $150 keyboard I would have broken this one in half this morning.

Funny you should mention those lines from Saving Private Ryan, I use them all of the time with my troops when they want to know why I don't bitch and moan around them. "Gripes go up Rybun not down" LOL.

So to play your game a little bit. There is no doubt that drilling for domestic oil, additional refineries, gas from coal conversion and such is absolutely necessary. I'm not scared of nuclear power but I am not a huge fan of it either. Big targets holding nuclear material from a national security point of view and then there is the whole waste issue and what to do with it. We are currently building a huge hole in a mountain in Nevada, I believe it is Yucca mountain that is supposed to become the US nuclear waste depository but from what I saw on the television we are still years away from completing it and who knows if it will hold it all. But I am just one relatively uneducated and ill informed citizen and what would I know. If we as a nation do not make renewable energy and its development as equally important as oil, coal and nuclear we are only cheating ourselves. These are sources that are ever present. Free for the taking with the right technology and viable. They will not power our cars exclusively at this point but they will power homes and businesses and that will take some of the stress off of coal and oil burning power plants so we can divert those resources to areas that need them more, thus HELPING REDUCE OUR NATIONS DEPENDANCY ON FOREIGN OIL. One of the beutiful by-products of using renewable energy to assist with powering homes and businesses is putting expendable income back into the pockets of the persons that earned it, thus boosting the economy.

This is not a one solution problem and I do understand that there are priorities that have to be placed but to call renewable energy tertiary at this point...well I think you are wrong. We didn't have the production capability when we entered WWII to win that war but in 3 years we did because we took on that cause on a national level and everyone got involved, all of the way down to the individual person. We didn't build all of the tanks, and then build all of the planes, and then build all of the ships. We did it all at the same time. We tested new things and improved on old. We developed new things and tested some more until we found what worked. Then...well we kicked ass. This situation is no different, the difference is the boneheads running the show. It's that whole leadership thing that Titus was talking about. The government needs to place a sensse of urgency on this and make it a national priority of nothing like we have seen since WWII and then we will see some shit getting done.

No comments: