Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Childish banter aside...

I'm not saying I'm opposed to Romney being on the ticket... but I AM saying that McCain is fighting at a distinct disadvantage in this election. He has no one to blame but himself, because his disadvantage is the result of his repeatedly "bucking" the GOP platform over the last 14 years. Causes aside, he needs to take into account that his choice for VP candidate is far more impacting than Obama's.

Obama will have his "base" support, regardless of his running-mate... but Mac could conceivably screw up his chances even more by picking a "moderate". As much as I like Joe Lieberman, imagine what the hard-core conservative wing of the GOP will do (and say) if he selects him to run?

Romney didn't strike me as very "in your face" about his positions on hot-topic items like the border, national defense, the war, etc. He was calm, clear and concise... but so is Mac. The ticket needs a "no BS" approach to the election, and what Mac can't deliver, his running-mate MUST. If you want to look at other "still fresh in the memory" candidates... then I'd say either Huckabee or Thompson would be better choices (although Thompson brings no Exec experience to the table, either). Both rock-solid conservatives, both with good track records, and both able to give a damn fine "fire-and-brimstone" speech on demand.

Again, I'm sure Romney is on the short list... but I think there are better choices on that same list than Romney. That's all.

No comments: