Monday, July 21, 2008

I know I do "funny" better ...

... so says Titus about my attempts at sarcasm. Of course I realize no one was advocating solar powered craft, I was simply making the point that as "solar everything" began to creep through our blog as the answer according to badboy and Jambo (that was my impression anyway), I decided some resemblance of reality needed to be injected via sarcasm.

****
First, I enjoyed the Scopes post. The Marx reference was certainly an apt one. They have embraced an anti-traditional view of life in America in every conceivable aspect from God, to energy, to security. You are truly a man without a Party. Whereas I'm a man with half a Party (if that).

****
Titus, I find our "lists", on what the US national energy policy should be, shockingly similar. I have a knee jerk hesitance regarding your federally mandated MPG standards, but as a part of a compromise its something I'm willing to give on. NOT that I oppose the idea of better fuel mileage mind you, I'm talking its federal mandate. But as I just said, as part of a compromise to get the the list in force, its a "go." Also, I understand your wanting to federalize the fuel standards to one, presumably lower and clearer, threshold so that all states can utilize each other's resources; however, you would have to outlaw, forbid or otherwise prevent states like CA from maintaining their standards or implementing new ones. Obviously the feds can use federal highway funds as a hostage, but their willingness to do so is suspect at best. Cities and mayors in the Golden State routinely violate federal immigration law with their sanctuary codes, and with no federal consequence whatsoever.

However, that aside, it appears to me our lists are at least 90% in sync. We want drilling as one necessary aspect of an overall energy policy; less federal red tape in every sector of energy; new sources such as nuclear and alternative; implementation of proven existing technology.

NOW, what's the likely hood of this very common sense, measurable and specific "list" of ours becoming a reality? In my estimation - ZERO. Democrats will further their grip on congress this cycle. Perhaps even governorships. The presidency is too close to call, but if it goes McCain the House & Senate will obstruct anything outside of the Algorian manifesto - thus maintaining the status quo. If it goes Obama, they will institute the Algorian manifesto, thus doing the seemingly impossible - making the current status quo look appealing.

The GOP brand name is not revivable this cycle, and its their own fault for abandoning core issues. Mac (with his maverick/anti-GOP credentials) may be the only exception. In the legislature congressional Republicans have finally become vocal about a policy that resembles our list, but its too late in this political season for them to turn the Democrat tidal wave. Mark my words, we are in for a very tough 4 years in terms of energy policy. For the controlling congressional Party in DC has sold its soul to a green ideological "movement", rather then represent the people they took an oath to serve. Our foreign oil dependence will continue. The junk science of "global warming" (or whatever they've changed the name to now) will continue to spread in cult like fashion, diminishing the chances of drilling and nuclear each day. Fuel prices will continue to hover at $4.00 a gallon. And US hostile/oil rich nations within OPEC will grow more emboldened each month. And guess what - that's if McCain wins. Multiply each prediction by a factor of ten and you'll have the Obama scenario.

God help us .... and if that request offends any lurking Democrats .... good.

No comments: