Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Whew that was a close one

I read Ryans post last night and tried to come up with a way to reply to it...well as my momma once told me "if you can't say anything nice don't say it at all" so I slept on it. I log in after work and I see Titus has responded in a once again civil manner and all was saved.

See my biggest problem is I'm an emotional creature. I promise I try real hard not to jump before i look but sometimes I just can't help myself. That's where the Red Menace post came from.

The Solar energy system that I read and saw was in Spain. The system supplies 2 towns with power and has yet to falter. The individual solar systems are a known quantity and work, and the reality is that if homes, small businesses and for that matter very large commercial buildings can go solar. The UPS West Coast facility in Northern California is 100% solar power 24 hours a day. Ryan living in the desert of Nevada should know for sure that solar is one of the most promising renewable energy sources. If I read the map right the Las Vegas area gets 7 hours of usable sun a day on average year round making it one of the most promising areas for solar. One of the funniest things I ever read about energy distribution has to do with the Boulder Dam. Of all of the hydro-electric energy produced by that dam none of it goes to Nevada. It is distributed to California, Arizona and parts of Utah if I remember correctly.

On a national security note, if we are in the process of trying to find new energy sources and use more renewable energy wouldn't it be smart to decentralize as much of it as possible? If we are all somewhat independant of a centralized supply wouldn't that make what was left of the centralized system less of a target for terrorists/badguys?

And just to clarify one more point, I am a fan of throw it all at the wall and see what sticks. Try and do it all and see what comes out the winner. Like I have said in the past "Necessity is the mother of invention" and money is the best incentive. We didn't win WW II in 3.5 years because we waited for someone else to do it for us.

No comments: