Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Good night Seattle, we love you!"

The GDP trend ticked up, with interruption, ok. Yet you have not shown me which program or series of programs that is directly related to. Your burden here has always been much heavier then mine. I simply pull the disastrous numbers and say, hey, it didn't work, or these numbers would have been corrected by 1939. When you point to any bright spots in the economy it is incumbent upon you to show me just how a New Deal policy (ies) caused that bright spot. Because that's what we are arguing - the effectiveness (success or lack thereof) of the New Deal. Not what good happened necessarily, but rather how that is attributed to New Deal policies. Unless you can demonstrate a correlation it is just as reasonable to consider the GDP went up despite New Deal, rather then because of it - hell, after 29' it scarcely had any other direction to head in no matter what policy was implemented.

I'd like to see that post. And if you can't produce it, you have no foundation to your claim of success.

In any event, as I stated before, other just as vital trends continued toward ruin from 37 - 39: unemployment, stock value, business failure for example, well after New Deal had years of opportunity to work its' pathetic magic. Thus it was demonstrably unsuccessful while real and stable recovery was enjoyed only as a result of WWII.

As I said, I can't call your opinion "wrong", by definition opinions aren't right or wrong. But as the above suggests, I find your conclusion ill conceived.

And with that I'll close the matter supremely confident in my belief that any objective reader will see the wisdom in my anti New Deal prose . . .

No comments: