Saturday, April 26, 2008

Two points...

... then I'll drop it.

I will watch for the book, and I will read it as soon as I can. I am forced to ask, though, why this man's views on the happenings between 9/11 and the publication date of his book are any more "objective" than anything else that is likely to be printed on the issue?

As a co-author and proponent of the policies and actions of an Administration that ALL of us have been critical of in one way or another, how much insight and objectivity can we really expect from this book? Why wouldn't we look at this book in the same light (but with a 180 degree opposite slant) that we would view something Michael Moore would create?

Granted, Moore is far more likely to use fiction... so he isn't a good example, but I think it makes my point, flawed analogy though it is.

The Frontline authors that made "Bush's War" may have had an agenda behind its production, but no more so (do I feel) that Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld had in using flawed intelligence to present their case to the American public, and (as far as I have been able to tell) their sources and facts are all irrefutable. I'm sure Mr. Feith's will be too... he a very smart, very educated man, and won't make the same mistake twice.

I haven't read the book... but I know that this guy has pissed off some of the biggest names in the Cabinet right from the start, and that was a BIG lead up to his very early retirement from his DoD position. These names include Gen. Tommy Franks, NSA Rice, SoS Powell, and BOTH CIA Directors, Hayden and Tenant, who have ALL referred to him in unflattering terms, including "psycophant", "idiot", "lacky" and "fucking pain in the ass" (Gen. Tommy Franks, Amercan Soldier, page 362).

Don't worry, I'll read the book... but YOU should read American Soldier and tell me that Franks' doesn't have some pretty good insight into what worked and what didn't.

My other point was simply that the kids removed from the FLDS compound in TX were taken by the authority of the State of Texas... and not the Federal government. They may not have done everyting just right, but nothing that happened was "wrong" either... at least not legally wrong. As a rather strong supporter of State-rights, I am far less inclined to critique State-level law enforcement practices than I am Federal. They are doing the best they can, and the attention that the media puts on this kind of action makes actual "law" enforcement nearly impossible.

No comments: