Wednesday, April 16, 2008

USCCB spin?

I did take Ryan's advice and watched the video... wonderfully full of symbolism and pageantry... and we all know how much I love pageantry!

However, referring to John Paul II's first visit to the US as pontiff as a "delightful meeting between President Jimmy Carter and the Pope" was a big stretch, even for the USCCB spokesman giving the commentary. I mean, you expect a graceful slant to such a commentary... he is speaking from the South Lawn of the White House, so you'd expect a large degree of "pc" right?

I just can't imagine that anyone that was there could have described the visit as "delightful". It is my understanding the JPII read Jimmy the riot-act... too soft on Communism, to neglectful of the poor of America and the world, and far too liberal on topics like all the "pro-life" issues in America.

Anyway... is it just me or does it seem nearly impossible that the last papal visit was 29 years ago? My God... it boggles the mind when you really consider how long that JPII actually reigned.

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

It is ironic ... we can see such a contrast with whom Carter chose to embrace this week versus the current president (and any sane president for that matter, ex or current), and yet it was Carter himself that was host to the last Papal visit, October 6th, 1979.