Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Well, I AM a 4 star general..."

We are doing quite well. I simply wanted to clarify that any action that is not a quote unquote "response" to enemy action is by definition "preemption." If you mean to point out that your preemptive strike on a nuclear capability of Iran would be "measured", or otherwise surgical, rather then a traditional invasion, that's fine. It certainly isn't the Wolfiwitz doctrine of preemption, but it is nonetheless a preemptive "strike" if you will. And I'm not knocking it, I just wanted to point out that we're not debating the worth of preemption, we're debating the degree in which it is advisable. that's all.

****

I watched much of the Patreaus/Crocker testimony this morning, but going in and out I managed to miss Hillary's and Baraks. I'll take your word for it that they were grandstanding. The opening statements were superb and I think with the correct level of guarded optimism. To be honest, its really hard to watch the more left Democratic Senators question these gentlemen. Certainly I'm not objective, but the civil tone the two witnesses responded with when being questioned by the more hostile legislatures really separated, to me, the character and professionalism the two had when compared to the politicians in the room. One exchange, and it eludes to my subject line, caused me to chuckle. I'm paraphrasing, but I did a fair job at memorizing the exchange.

Near the end Senator Evan Baye (D) Virginia, a John Edwards clone, is questioning Patraeus:

Baye: I've read the recent NIE report and while I can't discuss it here it seems to me that much of it is open to interpretation ... as is in my opinion the way forward in Iraq. Senator McCain, and I don't mean to suck you into the presidential race, but he used phrases like"success is within reach." Do you agree?

General Patraeus: Sir, I have repeated that there isn't the light at the end of the tunnel yet, no corners have been turned, and the champagne is pushed to back of the refrigerator. While the success is real it is fragile and revers able if we do not maintain our course
.

Baye:
Well I've spoken to experts in the field of terrorism and they say that our presence in Iraq has created more terrorists globally then we have eliminated in Iraq, I mean that's the case isn't it?

General Patraues: Sir, I'd simply have to disagree with that assessment.

Baye: Well, I understand it may be unfair to ask you to comment on the global war on terror, I understand your purview is command of Iraq....

Patraeus: Well, I am a four star general, I do have strategic thoughts on the issue and I'd just have to disagree sir ... respectively.


Baye:
Well regarding Iraq and a way forward, you would agree that reasonable people can disagree on how best to move forward, correct
?

Patraeus:
I wouldn't go that far sir, respectively.


Baye:
Certainly you don't mean to say that anyone whom disagrees with your way forward is unreasonable do you?

Patraeus: I'm saying that I have laid out a plan to progress, I submitted it to the president through the joint chiefs and he has ultimately agreed on this course. It is how I believe we can preserve the progress we have fought so hard for to date, and build on it.

Baye: Well, you agree that people do have varying opinions, strong opinions, on how to move forward?

Patraeus: We fight for their right to have those opinions every day sir.

Baye: Thank you, my time is up.

He, he, he.

****

To Rockefeller. First, their family went Democrat - at least those currently holding office - a while back. This was the rot-gut I was referring to in the text.... he said this in an interview with the editors of the Charleston Gazette (of his state, West Virginia), which served as his formal endorsement of Obama (he's a super delegate) ahead of their Democrat primary in 5 weeks.

Rockefeller said he believes either Obama or Sen. Hillary Clinton "would be good presidents for West Virginia."

Rockefeller criticized Sen. John McCain, the presumed Republican nominee for president. "Senator McCain does have a temper. But today, he speaks in a monotone on the campaign trail."
Rockefeller believes McCain has become insensitive to many human issues. "McCain was a fighter pilot, who dropped laser-guided missiles from 35,000 feet. He was long gone when they hit.
"What happened when they [the missiles] get to the ground? He doesn't know. You have to care about the lives of people. McCain never gets into those issues."

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200804070734

We've often discussed that this rabid hatred of Bush is driving this insanity, and quite frankly the absence of common decency, but I wonder if it will stop with Bush? I really don't think so. Anyone who supports the effort in Iraq is going to engender this type of wild eyed hatred ... and assuming we succeed in Iraq, they are so vested in defeat and the demonizing of policy makers that support the war, that they will ultimately destroy their party.

****

One last, but certainly not least, thing here - a Medal of Honor was handed out today, only the fourth one since the beginning of the war. I don't know if you saw the footage of the ceremony with the parents and sister, but as the president finished his remarks he was visibly brought to tears and his voice cracked. 25 year old Navy Seal Micheal A. Monsoor was part of a SEAL sniper team. He was on a rooftop in Ramadi on September 29th, 2006 with 2 of his comrades when a grenade landed at their feet. He screamed "grenade" but instead of diving away he dove on top of it ... his body absorbed the blast and saved the other two sailors. The President recited what his two surviving team members said of Monsoor: "He looked death in the face and said to it, you will not take my brothers. I will go in their stead."

A true American hero. THAT is the type of valor Tom Brokaw was referring to ... he was visiting the troops in theater recently when noted, "Surely, this is the next Greatest Generation."

God Bless the Monsoor family.

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

And is it just me or did we NOT HAVE laser guided missles in Vietnam? What was it Homer Simpson always says ... "DOOOOOLT!"