Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dude, why are we debating this?

I am stating, in no uncertain terms, that the very TENANTS of Islam make it a confrontational, aggressive faith that does not permit other faiths or belief systems to exist in societies that it controls. It demands a level of compliance from its believers and practitioners that negates the reality of human free will, and offers no prospect of redemption or spiritual development beyond the embrace of its initial acceptance.

In short, Islamic "salvation" stems from an individual's initial submission to the faith, and the automatic practice of the faith from that point on... no personal or spiritual "acceptance" is required, or even expected, from the individual. One is guided through the Muslim "belief" system by the whims and agendas of anyone who wishes to "interpret" Muhammad's words, which are often institutionalized via the national education systems of states such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, et al.

Now, in having written what I did, I can't deny that some aspects of what I am criticizing Islam for are shared with Christianity... mainly the diverse and many-faceted nature of the interpretations of the faith. There are four main schools of thought in the Muslim world, with more individualistic schools numbering in the thousands... but there are nearly 20,000 Christian denominations in the US alone. This would seem a contradiction to some...

BUT, I still maintain that Christ never advocated the "forced" conversion of the world to His teachings... in fact, He commanded against it numerous times. Muhammad specifically directed that, where the faith itself was unable to convert non-believers... the sword would suffice. THAT is the difference, and that is why (for me, anyway) Islam... especially in its most violent and extreme interpretations... is antithetical to human free will.

If I have any vestige of hesitation in saying what I am right now, it is that I have always tried to separate theology from politics... but that is impossible when 90% of the Muslim world sees NO DIFFERENCE between the two spheres. If they don't have to separate them, I won't either.

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

No, that's fair enough. I just was surprised to read your move to what is considered the "right" of me on the issue.