Friday, January 23, 2009

My take on Gitmo...

{applause for Baddboy}

In this regard, I am a pragmatist. Once we have "detained" someone as an enemy combatant, I DO feel that the "rule of law" limits what we can and cannot subject the detainee to. I'm not re-opening the "torture debate" (God, PLEASE... I'm really not!), I'm simply being honest.

But, as a pragmatist, I maintain now, as I always have, that the "out" the military might want to use is whether we "detain" anyone in the first place. If we are LOOKING for intel, then we LOOK to detain someone. If we are simply cleaning up after a mortar attack or have found a cache of material and men... then the enemy combatants that want to be "detained" can see what an out-right surrender will buy them. Otherwise... let them die for Allah. No one argues the incarceration of a corpse.

No comments: