Wednesday, January 21, 2009

This will be a Trivial Persuit question one day for sure.

Yes, yes, I remember the discussion. Although it was the 2004 presidential election when that discussion took place, when Bush - bucking history - picked up more congressional seats in addition to his own win. This included the defeat of one Tom Daschle, the then very annoying Minority Leader (whose back now as HHS Sec). Titus was descending on the escalator to break, I up - an easy chance to catch me given I was oddly enough the last up from break. He was exclaiming as we passed in the middle, I grinning ear to ear at the broken, beaten, defunct Donkey - "Alright, alright. No excuses now. You guys got it all, no excuses for failure." Whether the GOP reign was in fact a total failure (the fiscal side of the GOP is enough to call it a partial) we shall discern in part in our up coming "report cards."

Funny you should remember that now - I've been using that very phraseology as my one and only verbal refuge for a response when the masses of Obama voters I work with (all whom know my political orientation) pass me on break (still a good opportunity to catch me, if you know what I mean ... hehe).

****

Now . . . as the new president took the oath yesterday I turned to my better half and noted, "HEY, they flubbed that (as much Chief Justice Robert's fault as President Obama's I might add), and they are not allowed to - it is prescribed in the Constitution, specifically word by word." You don't get to make up your own vows, like some hippie, pagan transcendentalist wedding. I thought it was a little funny - in an endearing way, one of those little side notes to history that 40 years from now only the good history teachers point out to their students, as sort of a "hey, even the CIC can get nervous" addendum. Chris Wallace, of FOX NEWS later joked as well, "Well, if he is not legally the president as a result of that flub, and it gets to the Supreme Court, Obama will have at least on YEAH vote."

Well get this - President Obama today, on the advice of the White House counsel, again took the oath of Chief Executive, this time without verbal incident (I don't know if they brought Roberts back in), in the Oval Office in a move the counsel described as "an abundance of caution." HA! Can you believe that? I can't imagine that has EVER happened before - he got to make history 2 days in a row it would seem.

No comments: