Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I gave this real thought...

And I am inclined to agree that, even though it was nominated for 11 Academy Awards (and won two of them), Sergeant York would be a great movie to remake.

Now, as Jambo and I discussed, no one can replace Cooper as York, but the film is more than a "WWI" film, it is a classic study of a pacifist coming to grips with the need to serve his nation in a time of war.

After my talk with Jambo, another really good one came to my head... Hangmen also Die! This is the first telling of the assassination of SS Reichsprotektor Reinhard Heydrich, the architect of the "final solution", in Prague in 1942, and the retaliations against Czeck resistance fighters and their families that resulted. I thought this a "great" story that was told "ok"... in fact, there was only one stand-out actor in the whole film, and that was the famous Walter Brennan (of "Old West" movie fame), so no egos or legacies will be damaged by the retelling. The movie touches on topical issues for today, too... this is a good movie to consider for this list.

No comments: