Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dig it ...

Nice sentiment Titus.

So, I'm looking for something for myself & the boys to do on my birthday (today). And I think we will make our way down to the Atomic Testing Museum. I assumed it was just a small tribute establishment to Nevada's involvement in the development of the bomb. But as I scan the site (only $9 a ticket for Nevadan's) I see in its' short 5 years the speakers they've enjoyed aren't unimpressive, one or two jumped out ... Sergei N. Krushcev & Susan Eisenhower, along with various USAF generals. And as I'm thinking to myself, "how the hell did this little joint draw those kind of names?", I notice in the corner, in small text it reads: "An Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution."

Ha! I guess its' being located among other landmark establishments advertised as "just off the strip", such as the Elvis Museum, Magic Galore, and "Stripper Supplies" (a real store), I didn't assume it was a real deal museum. It is.

For $45 they have full replica, galvanized "fall out shelter" signs. I might have to pick one up. Starting April 1st there will be "The Art of War" gallery focusing on tools & weapons used in WWI's trench warfare. And they recently enjoyed a sincerely special, permanent "artifact dedication" - a beam from (I believe it's the South Tower) the World Trade Center, pulled from the rubble. Patrons are allowed to touch and photograph it.

I raised an eyebrow as I noted a disclaimer on the site. Within this museum the Trade Center beam is the ONLY area where ANY photography is allowed, as the various displays and documents were, as they note, once "TOP SECRET." I wonder if they're serious ...

No comments: