Tuesday, March 2, 2010

One more thing...

I want to clarify something I didn't make clear in my last post...

I do not equate policy for "equal rights" and "civil rights" as progressive. Coolidge can be called many things, but he understood (at least while he was President) that "justice" dictated that all Americans, black and white, should be equal under to eyes of the law. His efforts, along with Truman's, Ike's and Kennedy's to integrate the Federal branch was in the interest of ensuring the individual freedoms that the Constitution promised to protect for ALL men (and women)... not to expand the welfare state or increase governmental control of our lives.

I think there is a fundamental difference between "changing" what the Constitution means (which I equate with the "progressive" movement as it is defined today) and "enforcing" what the Constitution says, even when the Government has failed to do so in the past.

No comments: