Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oh...my...God...

Look, I know that typically this forum is used almost exclusively to discuss politics, with the occasional religious debate thrown in for good measure and some spice. We will sometimes throw some personal stories or recollections about for fun, I know... but tonight I'm going to venture away from the typical and into an area we haven't played in since the old mail-group days...

I know that at least 3 out of the 4 Bund members are HUGE fans of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and perhaps some of our followers and friends are too. That is what I am focusing on tonight... the latest episode, Whore.

I'm trying to imagine a series that has so captured my imagination as this one, and the closest I can come to is either Band of Brothers or Firefly. But DAMN... Spartacus is moving up the ranks quickly. I'm not sure how they have managed it, but each episode is better than the last, and the endings for the last two have just about blown my socks off. I was SO not expecting either to end the way they did, especially Whore.

And think... Season Two is already in the works! We've met many of the central players of the "historical" Spartacus in Batiatus, Crixus, and Glaber (and, of course, Spartacus himself). Only Oenomaus remains to be introduced... but I don't know that this happens before the revolt begins. I only know that all the sources for Spartacus tell us he was one of three leaders, and that he was Thracian and the others were Gauls named Crixus and Oenomaus.

I'm pretty sure Liz is convinced that I am only watching it for the blood and sex... but am I wrong in saying that those things pale in light of how addicting the story is getting? Did anyone else even SUSPECT that the cousin of the great Crassus (fellow consul and member of the First Triumvirate with Pompeii and Ceasar themselves!) was going to get her brains beat out on the floor of Batiatus' house as the episode progressed?

I'm forced to paraphrase Batiatus himself from past episodes and say: "F***K the sex! We'll make a fan of you yet!"

No comments: