Friday, March 12, 2010

Flight 93

The Discovery Channel tonight produced an excellent hour long documentary, narrated by Kiefer Sutherland (of 24 fame). Titled "The Flight That Fought Back" it was excellently done and I learned things of the actual blow by blow flight that I was previously unaware ... such as the way the passengers used the drink cart to ram the hijacker guarding the cockpit door, and bludgeoned him with what investigators assume was a fire extinguisher. Then used the drink cart to ram and ram and ram the cockpit door. In addition the idiot terrorists within the cockpit thought they could frighten the attacking passengers by brandishing the fire axe at the peep hole. The peep hole was one way, in to out, for the pilots. The passengers couldn't of seen the axe if they wanted to. This was all discerned and brought to reenactment through the audio of the in flight recorder (the "black box"). I'll tell you - It was tough to keep from wiping your eyes listening to the family which survived them. But one struck me particularly ...

The young son of one of the men on the flight is now a young man and is attending military academy now. I couldn't discern which one exactly but if I had to guess by uniform I'd wager West Point. And he said to the camera, while in dress uniform mind you ... "They took away what I can never get back. But I can make those responsible, pay. I can finish what he [his father] started." It made one want to stand up and applaud. I see this young man and I think to myself - men like you are what prevent a republic from falling.

Following that special was one detailing what would have happened (along with all the back ground info we know currently, reenacted) if the New Jersey Christmas Day bomber had succeeded.

Kudos to the Discovery Channel ... well done.

No comments: