Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ken Burn's "Civil War"

I'm sorry, people... I know there are many out there that think this is a liberal piece of tripe not worth the time to decry it's name... but it is my concerted opinion that this is the single greatest piece of documentary film making in my entire generation... very possibly ever.

For those that have Netflix instant view... spend the hours to watch it again, please. I just finished it for the second time since it came on instant view, and I can't express what a fantastic show it is. From its opening lines to its closing words and images... this is the defining work on the defining time of the American experience.

So much of what was lost after the war has been regained, but so much of what was won was lost and never really looked for again... and that is something we never really think about anymore in this modern age. It staggers the imagination to think on just how different ALL of America was before 1861... and how radically different it was again after 1865.

Damn good stuff...

No comments: