Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Football done for one more year...

Look at this... We should rename the Blog NFC Northville... I'm the Viking fan.

In my lifetime I've seen the Vikings lose three Super Bowls, to Pittsburgh, Oakland and Miami. (I wasn't born when Kansas City upset Minnesota in Superbowl IV) I have seen the Vikings lose five NFC Championship games, ('75 Dallas, '87 Redskins, '98 Falcons, '01 Giants, '10 Saints) and countless minor episodes of disaster, heartbreak and failure. I stand as a bitter, disillusioned, cynical fan with just enough hope to get me into trouble and not enough sense to see the inevitable.

I firmly believe, more than any other sports franchise in existence, including the Cubs, that to be a Viking fan is to know constant pain with almost zero reward. You go to Wrigley Field and you see a cathedral of the game. You go to the Metrodome and you see a house of cards collapsing under the weight of snow. Wrigley is a festive atmosphere embracing sun, summer, beer and bleachers. Minnesota is a cold wasteland of broken bodies, dreams and careers.

One can almost make the claim that this loseritis has spread and infected the Twins, but the Twins have the only vaccine that works: not one but two World Championships. And if (God forbid) the Twins never see the post season again in my lifetime, I have the living memory of the greatest World Series ever played, 1991, to ease my pain. In football, I have nothing but a legacy of shattered hearts and smashed dreams.

So, for another season, my home colors of #28, Adrian Peterson, and my custom road jersey #88, Foster, go into the closet until Big League draft weekend at the end of August of 2011, when we do all this again.

No comments: