Monday, February 28, 2011

God rest your soul, Mr. Buckles...

I commented on Baddboy's last, but wanted to say this in a full post:

I am honored to have been able to say I met with, shook hands with, and had a conversation with Frank Buckles, Private in the US Army 2nd Infantry Division in WWI and Merchant Marine POW during WWII. The last living veteran of WWI is now passed.

I can't forget that he told me he "saw the bullets" going by him a Belleau Woods, and I know my face must have shown doubt... but when he told me he was seeing bullets that had passed through Marines in front of him, I almost cried. He told me I was "shaking the hand that shook the hand of" a Marine that won two Medals of Honor in two different actions, and the same Marine that is credited with having said "Come on, sons of bitches... do you want to live forever?" to prompt his men to go "over the top" of the trenches.

Yep... I got to shake hands with living history, and hear from his own lips some of what he experienced. For that honor, I'm damn grateful.

No comments: