Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A big week...

Yesterday I finalized the adoption of my son, Jacob. He has a new father, a new name, and a fresh start at a relatively normal life (at least the best I can offer him... which isn't much, I'll admit). We had a great day yesterday, he and I... and I think the events made an impression on him. He even took and held my hand for a few minutes during the proceedings in the court room. Probably boring and too long for him, it was very emotional for Liz and I... and worth every minute of the wait to have it done.

Today is the 235th Anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps. Since its inception in 1775, the Corps has built and maintained a reputation of service and honor that is unrivalled among foreign military services. Almost every generation of America has seen detractors try and undo or remove the Marines from the rolls of American service branches, but none have succeeded, and the Marines have maintained the traditions and trappings of the very best of their brothers, from the very beginning. From its continued use of naval terminology (a Marine is always standing on a "deck"... even if he isn't on a ship) to the very sword worn by officers in the Corps (the "mameluke sword" given to Lt. O'Bannon in 1805 after the Tripoli Campaign), the Corps is replete with history and traditions that continue to build a sense of honor and commitment that is the envy of the world's military establishments... even ones far older than the Corps.

While I have always loved and appreciated the Marines, I love Jacob, too (and way more)... and that is what I have been focusing on all week. So, if you are looking for insight into politics this week from me... I'll need a couple of days to catch up.

1 comment:

Baddboy said...

Congratulations from the bottom of my heart, I have 4 children and 2 step children and I wouldn't give them up for the world.