Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's almost time...

Its time for that bi-weekly 100 year old tradition of pro-Christian, anti-homosexual, elitist youth indoctrination group so hated by the liberal Left... Boy Scouts.

Jacob is going to his fourth Pack meeting tonight, in full dress uniform (its Pack picture day), and he seems pretty excited. We've had some drama in the past, because his first event was a flag football game and he was very nervous and shy... but did remarkably well, none the less. The last meeting was a bowling event that Liz took him to, and he didn't do so well. He accidentally touched the score board (a touch-screen monitor) and made some of the other boys angry. Several even told him everyone hated him. Poor guy got a little upset at that, and put his head down on a desk for the rest of the event.

Scouting gets a bad rap from the Left, like I said... but the very make up of the Packs is sometimes as trying as anything I could imagine. Jake is an energetic, enthusiastic boy who loves to make friends... but he hates being excluded and is afraid of failing in front of peers. We have a big Pack here (nearly 30 boys) and the women running the show sometimes get a little buried. The children aren't always monitored as closely as one could hope, and what I am very thankful for is that Jacob hasn't misbehaved more often than he has. This way, I have been able to give him real, honest reinforcement by showing him visible, tangible examples of worse behavior than his own... which is not something I get to do very often.

Anyway... I'm off to do my duty as a Scouting parent. Two hours of sitting around doing nothing (other than maybe talking with other bored parents) if everything goes perfectly... two hours of watching the boy misbehave or get upset if things go really wrong. I'll take the boredom anytime.

1 comment:

Baddboy said...

I was in Scouts from age 8-18. I did Cubs, Weblos, Boy Scouts, Explorers and I was in the Order of the Arrow. It was a great experience and if you want to know how to prepare a boy to enter the world there isn't a better place. Then again 10 years of Scouting and 23 years in the Military, it might just be that I don't have to think about what I'm going to wear to work. All joking aside it was a great experience and I hope he continues.