Friday, November 26, 2010

Something I don't usually associate with Thanksgiving...

Many people here (participants and readers) know that I have, over the course of my 40+ years, tied on some spectacular drunks. Back in '87, I opened and closed, in the same night, the Grundy Bar and Grill in Room 116 of Ostrander Hall dormitory. That event is still talked of in hushed and reverent tones amongst those that were there. Not many years later, we had a little "get together" at a house I was renting on US Highway 2 in northern Wisconsin... and the epic amounts of Yukon Jack that were consumed boggle even my memories. Over the course of only two days prior to my wedding to Elizabeth in 2008, Jambo, Ryan, Liz and myself (with assorted other friends and family) drank nearly the entire $1000 bar we had bought for the actual wedding and reception... and we had to go out and restock our supplies at the last minute.

Weddings, birthdays, wakes (hey, I'm Irish), christenings, graduations, anniversaries... these are events that I associate with that kind of drinking and merry-making... not Thanksgiving. But this year proved to be the exception to the rule.

We had our Bund buddy Marshall over to the house for dinner (Liz had a FANTASTIC spread), and soon after we finished, Mick and his family showed up, followed almost immediately by Super Jon and Becky (of wedding party fame). The kids entertained themselves and the adults had a blast. I can't really explain how it happened, but Jon and I consumed an ENTIRE bottle of Jameson fine Irish Whiskey betweent the hours of 6 pm and 10 pm... and by 11 pm, I was some kind of drunk, let me tell you. Waking up this morning gave new meaning to "hung over" for me.

But, I suffered through the day (relief floor in four different pits, one was poker and the another was high limit bac) and made it home. Tonight, I soak in a hot tub, drink several gallons of cold water, and go immediately to sleep.

Hope everyone else had as much fun as we did...

No comments: