Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day!

I don't know if it was "the" celebration, but for the last 2 years Caesars Palace has hosted a Marine Core Birthday bash. And that's what the Core calls it, not an anniversary, not a commemoration, but "birthday." Thousands of Marines were in town, hundreds passed my table for the 2 nights.

During the few days they were in town I saw countless Marines (and a few Sailors) walk by in their dress blues (forgive me USMC, if that phrase only applies to Navy). It was a nice site: medals all attached, chevrons everywhere, and their wives and girlfriends in evening gowns, hair and make up all done up. For these young couples, living on fixed salaries (to put it lightly), this must have been an exciting night - out in Vegas, at a ball, all dressed up. I must have said, "thank you for your service" more times then "good luck" these 2 days. And something occurred to me. It wasn't just me thanking them, and it wasn't just "older" Americans, whom are typically more apt to stop and thank an active duty soldier. But young (20-somethings) people, in town to "party", go clubbing, hook up, and gamble, were stopping, routinely, and thanking, shaking hands, and even hugging these Marines in their dress best. I was a bit surprised. And I thought of my barber - Sport Clips (stay with me). They have a "Help a Hero Phone Home" program initiated some time back in which $1 of every hair cut goes to a program to buy prepaid cell phones for soldiers away from home (I'll be directly responsible for more then a few conversations at the clip I get, well ... clipped, hehe). The NFL has a huge soldier appreciation program, and right there in PA, at Heinz field, they had a "Hero Appreciation Day", in which wounded soldiers got to pal around with, catch passes from, and generally mingle with the entire Steelers team/organization. Jay Leno is hosting a "soldiers only" show tonight in which the entire audience will be active duty guys and gals. And he's pulled his Hollywood strings to get huge stars to appear/preform, including Kim Kardashian (good move Jay, the boys will appreciate her assets). Adam Sandler had a big meet and greet with these guys. The USO has A-list volunteers, lining up to the point of a waiting list being established for people that aren't used to "waiting" for anything. And forget about the Country Music scene, they are intimately involved. And I could go on for pages, and pages of posts in which private citizens from high profile events to simply sating "thank you" in a grocery store to letting a pilot know on a flight that a few guys on board are returning soldiers, and having him announce it over the speakers - resulting in a standing ovation on that plane (a story I've heard repeated more then once). My point being that it seems that as a nation we have collectively decided that NEVER AGAIN will US soldiers face or feel the effects of a Vietnam style (un)welcome home. No matter whether we agree with the war(s), the vast majority of Americans have made the point to separate war policy from warriors. And I'm proud of my nation for that. For recognizing and correcting that grave mistake of the baby boomers. Pride that is surpassed only by that in our men in uniform. So, on your day lads, let me say "THANK YOU."

And to that 2nd Lieutenant, sorry about the 6 card 21 I pulled ... you deserved better ... hehe.

2 comments:

Titus said...

Dude, its a GREAT post...

But it is the Marine CORPS, not the Marine CORE. I've bit my tongue in the past... but this is important.

Baddboy said...

You used the term Active Duty several times in your post here and I have to say that last I checked the National Guard and Reserve have been more likely to deploy to our favorite hot spots around the globe than our active duty counterparts over the last several years. I'm not trying to be critical but being a member of the military for 23 years now and 18 of that being Guard or Reserve I think it's kind of important to recognize that fact. Other than that a very well said post and thank you for your appreciation.