Monday, November 22, 2010

I'm arguing with Kramer!

You really must stop this. This thing of telling me I have done or do believe something which I've never mentioned.

I know this is a side issue, but it ties into a bigger point in a bigger post I'm doing.

You accuse me of supporting the types of images you presented, namely Obama as Mao.
I say no, I don't support them and truthfully haven't ever seen such images.
Again, you make a post noting that I have no problem with such images, signs and the like.
Again, I say I have NEVER seen and DO NOT support such images, and quite frankly outside of your description, have no idea what you're talking about.
Then your big conciliatory post is, "well, maybe you don't support em', but you have seen them."

Enter Seinfeld: In one episode Kramer hands Jerry a present, "Happy Birthday buddy!" Jerry says, "It's not my birthday." Kramer: "Yes it is." Jerry: "I think I'd know if it was my birthday or not." Kramer: "You'd think you would, but you'd be wrong." Jerry: "Maybe it is my birthday.

Ha!

What do you want me to say? I did see a picture once, can't remember if it was Nixon or Bush, with a small mustache, meant to be Hitler. It was a clip of protesters at a G8 summit ... I think.

But I HAVE NEVER laid eyes on your images until I pulled up the Bund today. PERIOD. Now just think about that for a minute - not only have you repeatedly insisted I have seen the images, but then went so far as to assign me my position on them! Come on man, give it up already. I consume 99% of my news via online and the radio (which includes NPR & the BBC, as my many rants on their programming confirms). My TV time is reserved almost exclusively for streaming Netflix and dvd's. So I wouldn't have seen them on TV. And although google undoubtedly boasted a .7 second return when you searched these items, I can't begin to imagine how obscure a website you must have had to enter to actually find them. I don't do obscure too much (and by the by, if it was MSNBC, et al, trying to make Tea Partiers look bad, that counts as "obscure" - who watches MSNBC, have you seen their ratings?)

Now that I have seen them, do I share the same outrage as I do the Indian terror poster/tee shirts? NO. But neither did I express similar outrage over the Bush (or Nixon) Hitler sign. Do you really think me that much of a partisan hack, and that bereft in my understanding of history, to not realize that such images are the work of whackadoos? Really? That sucks.

Now, had in these images someone replaced Obama's face with say, Old Glory, or "Est. 1776", something along those lines, then my outrage meter would have went up a tick or two - that's debasing my nation, not a single, contemporary, man. Obama is a politician. Bush is a politician. Yes, presidents, but they have not reached the "sacred cow" status as say a George Washington, et al. And let me assure you, had it been Old Glory etc, with such an image, that was placed in the entrance of a museum I was attending on my kid's field trip - then damn right I would have expressed the exact same outrage via the same texts and picture that I did the Indian, "America is a terrorist state" picture.

Ok? Jeeeeeeeez.

I'll get to the rest in a second, I just had to deal with that.

No comments: