Monday, November 22, 2010

I heard rumors ...

That Favre REALLY disliked Childress, and that the Southern MS grad has been the true leader in that locker room for quite some time. Man, did Childress go into that office and make the wrong ultimatum ... "It's me or Favre."

I found out before Jambos post though. My own little NFL hopeful, whom I got to coach this year on the same team he's been watching his big brother play on the last 2 years, woke me up, "Dad, dad, Childress was fired!" Why is he home from school? Our team entered the play offs this past Saturday. In our first game he broke 2 tackles & juked the last defender for an 80 yard TD run on 2nd down of our first drive. He went on to garner us 3 more 1st downs, one on 4th & 7, and sacked the opposing QB in over time to end the game with us up 35-28. He won game MVP. Our second round game we lost. Tough, rainy, windy, cold. 28-21 the final (yes, 2 games in 1 day, with kids that run both ways, & what's more he & our other 2 star players played every single down of both games, and special teams - tough little rascals). Later that night he wakes up with a screaming headache, nausea, the works. An ER trip & a cat scan later & it's official - concussion.

He'll be fine, couple days rest. And he really likes telling people, "Ya, I got a concussion the first game & still played the second one." Bare in mind no one knows which game it occurred ... but I figure he earned that bragadocia, hehe.

What I realized though is the sting of losing as coach is monumentally mitigated by the pure joy of being Dad & having just watched your 9 year old have a monster game ... I ask you, does it get any better then that? :-)

No comments: