Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I will say this about media coverage...

Call this a guilty pleasure... But I love Jon Stewart. The Daily Show is freaking awesome. I mean, I know... It's not really news. I'm not going to Big Jon for the breaking stories. But if you want to laugh, just at the creativity that goes into it, it's hard to beat Jon Stewart.

So today when he does his show his first ten minutes are dedicated to the Tuscon Massacre. I'm watching because Denis Leary is his guest, and not only is Denis Leary awesome, but they go at it like CATS AND DOGS... The Catholic/Jew jokes are ALMOST as funny as the Catholic/Mormon jokes we used to broadside in Ryan's driveway. Jon makes more drunk Irish jokes than my grandfather, and I didn't think that was possible. And Denis' Jewish responses? Unprintable and priceless. (I will say this: The only time I heard the Holocaust mentioned as a punchline in a joke was on the Daily Show, Denis Leary told it and Jon Stewart was useless for five minutes on live TV laughing.) So THAT'S why I'm watching.

What I GET was a monologue I cannot hope to do justice here. Go to the Daily Show at the Comedy Central website, pull it up and watch. It's worth the effort. The interview with Leary is classic too... (Joking about each other's books... That KILLED me!) But the monologue was priceless. If I knew how to link it I would.

Let me know what you think.

No comments: