Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Say it isn't so!!!

I trust Baddboy, don't get me wrong. And I'm not in the habit of checking up on every little piece of information posted on the Bund. But I had to confirm it... Not Dick Winters.

But Baddboy's right. Passed away Sunday. A couple days before his 93rd birthday.

We stood on that guy's PORCH and couldn't bring ourselves to ring the doorbell... Shot down after thousands of miles and hours of driving by a little typed (not printed, mind you, TYPED) 3x5 card taped under the doorbell that said "Please Do Not Disturb."

I get tears in my eyes thinking this: My grandfather, as a boy and a young man, heard stories of the Civil War from his surviving great uncles, his grandfather passing away 13 years after the war from wounds suffered at Mobile Bay. He SAW, SPOKE, lived with veterans of the Civil War. Fast forward two generations and you have Titus, my sister and yours truly with the same interaction, Ray, George, Neil, all veterans of WW2. My children missed that living history by an EYELASH! I can tell my kids stories, Titus can tell them stories, but is it the same as hearing them from the people that were THERE? I don't know.

It's lost in all this mess from Arizona. If I still owned my home and had a flag pole, it'd fly half mast for 30 days for Maj. Dick Winters. Rest in peace, sir.

No comments: