Wednesday, March 26, 2008

As long as James brought it up...

... I should let you guys know some of what to expect for the "big day".

Initially, Liz had been running with a "theme" that focused on the ethnicity of the union, Irish and Creole. That plan has now been altered...

The "Irish" part has been relegated to the actual service at St Peter's, and doesn't seem to be leaving there anymore. So enjoy it while it lasts... about 90 minutes. She's trying to make the ceremony as "traditional" an Irish event as she can (taking into account that this is an Episcopalian congregation, or "Catholic Lite" as I like to call it) with very little of the formal aspect one thinks of with a wedding. Lots of linen, white and pastel green, spring flowers... you get the idea.

The Creole theme takes over from there. As much New Orleans as my meager checkbook and NEPA can provide, anyway. Purple and gold colors (a combination only James and Liz can REALLY appreciate... and perhaps Jason), lots of Louisiana food, a dance floor on the deck, undoubtedly some Zydeco music (Liz's family nearly ALL hail from south LA originally). Nothing that I am sure the two Katrina refugees reading this blog won't be familar with.

My concerns are mainly that this will be a bit "alien" for most of the locals and what members of my family show up... and that there is the possiblity that the "Creole" side of this wedding (read LIZ) is just a bit too far removed from the real thing to appreciate good Creole cuisine. James knows what I mean... to sup on authentic shrimp etouffee is to come close to knowing the savour of ambrosia, but to have it done badly is to suffer a meal inedible. As much as I would love to serve 30+ people a truly mouthwatering Creole feast in the best of New Orleans style... I do not live anywhere near New Orleans anymore, and vital ingredients may be only available via the internet, or not at all (i.e. crayfish tails, boil, and the dreaded okra). When I think Creole, I think HOT food, but I'm not sure how well that will go over, so it will have to be tame to at least James and my tastes.

However, she is having a BLAST planning this thing out... it can occupy her for HOURS if she lets it, each and every day. That's a good thing, I guess... but the closer we get to the day, the more costly the next change of mind is going to be. Hehe... oh well.

I do think this will be fun... I hope you guys just think of it as 4 or 5 days of fun and relaxation. No worries, no schedules outside of what you set... lots of fun and laughing, and maybe a bit of culture thrown into the mix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.