Saturday, March 15, 2008

Your perception is not my reality

Lets talk about military downsizing and the role of companies such as Halliburton. To start I don't agree with the reasons why Halliburton or KBR as a subsidiary of Halliburton exist within military operations. What I do understand is with the downsizing of the American military infrastructure that they have become necessities. I guess the biggest question I have for Ryan is do you know of any other company that with a single phone call can put together a logistical infrastructure that will support several hundred thousand troops in a foreign country for an extended period of time? I know companies like Dyncorps and Blackwater are putting together operations that can support smaller size elements in specific locations and that Blackwater is trying to purchase C-130's to do intratheatre airlift on a contract basis but all of that is for limited operations.

I would love to see the military brought up to its former glory and be able to support itself without the assistance of civilian contractor in country but that isn't going to happen. Troops have to eat and we don't have the cooks to support those large operations anymore. Someone has to be there when we land to offload the cargo from our airplanes and it doesn't seem that we can support that with our limited numbers anymore. We need trucks to deliver supplies to areas that don't have an airstrip. Apparently we need contracted guns to protect our dignitaries when traveling to hotspots like Gaza and the West bank. All of these things used to be supported directly by US military troops...but sadly no longer.

In a perfect world Halliburton would still be strictly oil field support and all of the other things that would be handled by civilians for civilians but that world we don't live in so we have to deal with reality. Halliburtons business practices are questionable I know but if you have a better plan or can find another company with their capabilites I'm all ears and I would bet so are the American peoples.

I have general rule of thumb that I live by, Don't bitch about something unless you can propose some kind of solution. My solution to this problem is bring back our military and let us do it...what is yours?

No comments: