Monday, March 17, 2008

Party of the People... *sigh*

I think we have both discussed the possibility that the Democratic Party is leaving its supporters behind in the past, and I agree that this is true… to a point.

However, I can’t help but feel that the Party isn’t beyond saving even now. I still think there are enough “moderate” Dems to pick up the pieces once the far-left self destructs. Both my friend Mick and I have discussed our growing habit of crossing the isle at general elections, and while I know I am more prone to cross than he is… he still feels that he is inclined to vote for the right person, as opposed to the party. But, what if I were to change my registration and go GOP?

The GOP is suffering from its own internal crisis right now, it just isn’t as public as the Democrats. Look at the reception McCain got when Romney dropped out. You’d have thought the man was standing next to Jane Fonda while she sat and posed for photos on an NVA anti-aircraft gun, rather than rotting in a torture chamber after being shot down by the same gun! Every single conservative radio pundit on Patriot 144 called him a “liberal” every 60 seconds they were on the air… it was amazing!

I don’t deny that populism is killing the Democratic Party right now, but it is handicapping the GOP pretty well, too. When this trend ends, and the “right” comes back into vogue (as I am sure it will), then where will I be? Abandoned by another party?

I vote at every opportunity, and I have been active in the party (at least since 2006) locally here in NEPA. I assume that due to PA’s rural make up and traditional conservative history, the fact that most Democrats in my neck of the Commonwealth are fairly conservative goes along way to making me feel that there is still hope. Besides, if I hope to see the party abandon this nightmare push to the “left” and embrace the more moderate position of mainstream America, shouldn’t I keep voicing my opinion as a “Democrat” that isn’t represented as a Democrat? Or am I simply playing the martyr again?

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

I feel for you brother ... but I am less then optimistic about a Taylor/Miller/Leibberman/Titus retake of that party any time soon. But I'll be the first to breathe a sigh of relief when they do - much the same breathe exhaled when I see conservatism come back "in vouge" in the GOP.